6.07.2010

Run like a pro (who me?)

I'm going to put something out there, but promise not to get mad at me:

I hate running.

(I am scared of - and awed by - you, oh tribe of religious everyday runners...)

I mean, I totally *wish* I loved running - in theory it seems pretty amazing - but when I'm doing it, I pretty much want to chop my own feet off so I never have to do it again.

However, I just came across this Self Magazine article (via Have Your Cake) about proper running technique and tips, and am wondering if I've just been doing it wrong all this time.

For instance, did you know that "most runners strike the ground on their toes or heels, but ideally, you should land on the balls of your feet and push off"? I think I'm a "heel striker" - which makes total sense as to why each stride hurts my back and knees so much.

Dare I say these revelations (see other tips here) might be enough to inspire me to give running another try? Especially if it gives me abs like these:

Yikes.

If this 90-degree business breaks tomorrow, I might be willing to give it a try...
(I'm shocking even myself.)

(B, please remember and cite this high-falutin' talk tonight when I come home from work at 7:45 and am whining about being tired...) ;)

What about you all? Any runners out there? Any good running or general motivation tips? I need to get in shape before our beach trip!

3 comments:

  1. I am down for running again. We can go to the park and run on the grass to be easier on your knees and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. turquoise mermaidJune 8, 2010 at 4:00 PM

    Awwww. Lovebirds running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only run if I'm being chased.

    ReplyDelete